Sherlock Holmes is one of my favourite fictional character, so when I saw this post from Hamlette, I decided to bookmark it. But, alas, my busy days made me forget about this party until today, 12 hours before the party ended, what a shame. It’s officially midnight in my country, when I write this post, but no complaining, I’ll do it anyway.
1. When and how did you first encounter Sherlock Holmes?
I just remember one day when I was around 8-10 years old, my sister borrowed a translation edition of (I guess) abridged version of some Holmes’ short stories. I was enjoying mysteries at that time, and Holmes did awe me.
2. Please share a fact or two about yourself related to Holmes. (You’ve read the whole canon, you’ve been to Baker Street, you’re an official BSI member, etc.)
Last year, I encouraged myself to accept an offer to translate a Holmes’ short story for a publisher. My first sort-of-professional publishing work was Sherlock Holmes, couldn’t be proud more.
3. What are three of your favorite Holmes adventures?
The Final Problem, The Adventure of the Speckled Band, The Naval Treaty.
4. What draws you to the Sherlock Holmes stories?
The classic nuance of detective stories. I love the settings, the solitude (in a good way), and the brilliance.
5. If you were going to give Sherlock Holmes a birthday present, what would it be?
A telescope. I love astronomy, and I hope he can see why stars and planets are matters. Besides, stargazing is way more healthy activity than smoking, with, more or less, same effect.
6. If you could climb into a Holmes story and replace any one character for a day, who would you like to be?
Irene Adler, maybe, it would be great to beat Sherlock Holmes🙂 Or, surely, Dr. John Watson, I’d love to accompany Holmes along his adventures.
7. Please share some of your favorite Holmes-related quotes!
It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (A Scandal in Bohemia)
He must guard himself, for he may find that there is someone more cunning than himself upon his track. (The Adventure of the Speckled Band)
My mind rebels at stagnation. (The Sign of Four)
Coincidentally, today–a week after Holmes’s birthday, is my blog’s birthday. So, happy birthday to my blog too🙂